If you check most of the articles on the net, you would find that there are very few activities for Varanasi. This is mainly because Varanasi is considered as a place for an all-day visit.Is not true. This is one of the oldest cities that are still inhabited. The Kings of different eras built different monuments and attractions for their inhabitants. So, this place is full of attractions jewels. If you are ready to spend a lot of time in the city, there are many activities that you should enjoy this holy capital of the country.
1. It does not matter if you consider Ganges River as holy or not; You can not deny the fact that the water is refreshing and cool. Early morning bath in the Ganges would raise your mood. Are not you ready to take a dip in the river? You can try walking along the river early in the morning when the fog is light.
2. There are numerous temples in the city. Each street is awarded with numerous hotels that are usually associated with one mythology or the other. The best of all is the Kasi Vishwanath temple and its golden domes. Visit these temples to enjoy the architectural beauty of the structures.
3. There is a temple of the Indian mother in Varanasi. It is called as Bharat Mata Mandir. Visit this temple for a bit of tourist experience.
4. Do you love monkeys? You must visit Sankat Mochan temple dedicated to the monkey god of Hindu mythology, Hanuman. You can find many monkeys playing in this temple.
5. The most extravagant of all rituals is the Ganga Arti that occurs every night by sunset on Dasawamedh Ghat. People perform interesting rituals and let go of small lamps in the river. Millions of small fireballs floating above the cold water is an epic spectacle and is the best place for all kinds of photography.
6. Early in the morning or in the afternoon boat ride on the Ganges River to watch the sunrise or sunset is an activity here. You can find people who perform various rituals at the banks and also enjoy the cool breeze.
Read also: Golden Triangle Tour In India
7. Sarnath is little away from Varanasi. This is an important place for Buddhist pilgrims. You can find Deer Park, Stupa and many other important monuments historically and religiously here. It is also an important place for the pilgrims of Jainism.
8. In Sarnath, you can find Dhammek Stupa that they think of as an alien structure. Many movie buffs visit this place for some excitement. Are you one of them? The most interesting part is that it was built many centuries ago and connects to science fiction stories of this century.
9. Explore the historic Ramnagar fortress along the banks of the river. It is a favorite place to film a film and it is also a major tourist attraction that was built in the 18th century. There is also a museum in this fort.
10. There are numerous shops outside each temple and there are many streets that are dedicated for shops only. If you are a compulsive buyer, you can go nuts with the options thrown at you. The best things to buy are Benares silk, deities, bracelets, stone inlay works, shawls, rugs and brass items.
12. There are a lot of hotels in Varanasi with roof top dining room. You can see the people and deities adopted for ceremonies with ease from the terrace while having dinner.
13. Participate in any yoga class that occurs near any Ghat or in any building supervising Ghats. You can experience relaxation with yoga and it would be a new experience.
14. Visit the museum inside the Hindu university Banaras to SEE from 15th century images, sculptures, miniature paintings and others. If you love museums, you should visit the Government Museum where there are terracotta objects from the 3rd century, ceramics, bronze articles and others. It contains remains that were evacuated from the Mathura region.
15. If you are looking for some architectural exploration, visit Kathwala temple or Nepalese temple. It is a temple built by the temple king with the terracotta as the main element. The sculptures are made of wood and this reddish-brown temple attracts many international tourists every year.
16. Varanasi is not just a place for Hindus. You must visit the Alamgir mosque on the banks of the river for some time of extraordinary photography, take a quiet walk and architectural beauty. This mosque is a mixture of Hindu and Islamic style and was built by Aurangzeb.
17. Enjoy a beautiful view of the city and the river from the 16th century stone balcony on Manmandir Ghat. There are also some interesting temples near the balcony.
18. Visit the partially submerged temple in Scindia Ghat. This temple is one of the main attractions due to its submersion. A boat ride very close to this temple is a major tourist activity here.
These are just the best 18 activities of which you should enjoy in Varanasi. There are many other activities available to you especially if you are visiting during any auspicious Hindu day.
Plan your trip to India : find here the best tour packages in India including Varanasi and make your trip a memorable one. Tour packages will take you through the sacred lanes of Varanasi, Holy ghats, temple, commercial premises.