India is, above all, a country of contrasts and the markets in India are probably the places that best capture the idiosyncrasy of a country where everything is lush.
In the markets in India he intoxicates the aroma of flowers, the intense colors of the species and the silks with a thousand and one prints . But we can also find in them all kinds of fruits, garlands and fish that are still weighed on old scales. Places to buy sacred water from the Ganges or jasmine petals arranged in sacks for temple ceremonies. Markets in India: corners with such magic, that a walk through their stalls becomes a gift for the senses.
1. In Calcutta we can visit the flower market , on the banks of the Hoogly River, where we will be surprised by the different shades that the yellows, roses and oranges of the petals acquire. In the afternoon, Hindu women throw them into the river as a sign of offering.
2. In Varanasi, near the main ghat of the Ganges, we find a typical local market, chaotic and charming. Stalls with samosas or delicious fruit juices, others that sell vegetables or handicrafts … the chromatic picture is simply perfect.
3. Devaraja Market, in Mysore, hides a magical treasure of powdered dyes, wood carvings and incredible varieties of scented incense. The perfect place to acquire a silk sari, take a walk among fruits that our eyes have never seen or have a polite conversation with one of the vendors.
4. If we are in Jaipur we cannot miss its street markets, full of color and exoticism. Located in the old part of the city, and wrapped in an endless movement of people, we will find everything we can imagine, from carpets or furniture, to brass objects, flowers or silk bedspreads. Bargaining is mandatory, but part of the charm.
5. The Orchha market is quiet amid the inevitable bustle. Do you want a hand-painted teak wood carving? Here you can find it. Maybe a jewel? Seize the moment. Being away from the most tourist routes, this market has great prices.
6. If you want to visit a fish market, direct your steps to the Cochin bazaar, where you can find it next to the fishing nets in which the fish have become entangled just a couple of hours before. Choose the variety you like most among the golden, squid or sharks you will find, and go to the restaurant arranged with the stand, where they will do it at the moment. Coolest impossible!
7. And if what you are looking for is a really special fabric, do not forget to stroll through the Amritsar market, a fascinating maze to get lost in it, which hides some textile treasures difficult to describe by the variety of its rich compositions, the touch that They transmit or their incredible and vibrant colors. Then go to a local tailor and he will make the jacket or dress of your dreams, strictly following your instructions.