Planning your trip to India? So, definitely the Taj Mahal should be on your list of safety pins, right? But before you start your trip , here are some essential tips you should know, to make the most of your visit to this beautiful white mausoleum.
Visiting the Taj Mahal in Agra, India.
The TajMahal in Agra, India; Belonging to the 7 wonders of the world, in our opinion, it is the most beautiful building in the world. Visiting India is an incredible experience in itself and it is certainly intense, but wait; That Agra on the other hand, is not far behind.
Arm yourself with some useful tips to make your first visit to the Taj Mahal in Agra a memorable experience!
What you did not know about the Taj Mahal
To know a little about the history of the Taj Mahal, did you know that there is a romantic story behind it? That’s right, this majestic work of art was erected by Emperor Shah Jahan after the death of his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal, between 1631 and 1654. It is made of pure white marble and took about 22 years to complete.
More than 20,000 workers were employed to build the Taj and it is said that their thumbs were cut at the end of this architectural work, so that such a monument would not be built again.
Where is the Taj Mahal located?
The Taj Mahal is located in an Indian city called Agra, about 230 km from New Delhi; The capital. It is possible to visit the Taj Mahal in Agra , traveling from Delhi in just one day (many travelers do), however we suggest you go to Agra, spend the night there and explore the Taj the next day, you will not regret it!
In the following Google map, we show you the distance and train journey from Delhi to Agra …
How to get to the Taj Mahal from Delhi to Agra?
It is very easy to get to Agra leaving from Delhi . Next, you will find 3 of the main options to visit this magical enclosure:
In Delhi, every day more than 20 trains leave for Agra , so you will have no problem taking the one that best suits your itinerary. Departures vary from 2 to 5 hours, so we recommend you take note of the schedules of the next 3 trains.
- 12050 GATIMAAN EXP H NIZAMUDDIN towards AGRA CANTT , leaving at 08:10 arriving at 09:50 (01:40 hrs.)
- 12002 + BHOPAL SHTBDI NEW DELHI to AGRA CANTT departing at 06:15 arriving at 08:12 (01:57 hrs.)
- 12280 + TAJ EXPRESS H NIZAMUDDIN to AGRA CANTT departing at 07:10 arriving at 10:07 (02:57 hrs.)
Remember that you can book your seats directly with us online ( https://www.irctc.co.in ), or go to any train station in India and book.
Do not panic, in Agra there are many train stations: “Agra Cantt” is the main one, but we also recommend considering “Agra Fort” (Agra Fort) as destination for your descent. The prices range from 400 rupees for trains with A / C ($ 6) and 100 rupees for the non-express without A / C, approximately.
You can also take trains to Agra from Jaipur , Mumbai , Chennai and Varanasi .
Traveling by bus to Agra , it is SUPER cheap, especially if you take the “ordinary bus” without air conditioning, etc. (140 rupees / $ 3!) Taking the bus from Delhi to Agra, the tour will last from 4 to 5 hours. In Delhi , there are many stations where you can take buses to Agra and with different runs during the day. While in Delhi, the bus station “Kashmiri Gate” (Kashmirigate) , is one of the bus stations with the largest and most frequent routes.
C) Private car / Taxi
The best option is to take a private car from Delhi to Agra . We do not exactly mean a taxi, since taxis in Delhi are NOT allowed to take you to Agra (although some offer to do so!). However, you can find many agencies such as Incredible Rural India Or India Tour By Car & Driver that offer a professional and safe transfer service.
How much do admission to the Taj Mahal cost?
Admission costs ₹ 1000 INR for foreigners ($ 16 USD) and ₹ 40 INR for locals ($ 0.60 USD!).
Tickets are available only at “Western Gate” near SaheliBurj or at the “Eastern Gate” at the Taj!
The best time to visit the Taj.
Although you can visit the Taj Mahal at any time of year, we recommend you visit during the winter months (November to February) to avoid the intense heat and the rainy season that occurs during the summer.
The TajMahal is open from dawn to dusk every day, except for Fridays, which is closed to the public and only those who need to attend prayers in the TajMahal mosque, may enter.
The best time to be there, it is just at dawn, is when the natural light show starts, because the building changes color as the sunlight illuminates each and every one of the jewels (placed individually by hand, in the stone blocks) that decorate the exterior with its brightness.
You will not want to miss it!
What clothes to wear during your visit to Taj Mahal
There is no dress code, but even so, you must be respectful. If you want to enter the mosque, you must have your head, shoulders and knees completely covered.
Agra has a hot climate and unfortunately there is very little shade, so wear light clothing and be sure to use sunscreen. On the other hand, Agra also gets very cold in winter (November-February) so jackets and warm clothes will be necessary as well.
If your visit is guided tour of Taj Mahal, the tour operator will arrange your trip during the morning or as late as possible, to avoid the intense heat.
Tips for taking pictures at the Taj Mahal
We all want that emblematic photo in the Taj Mahal. You know what I mean, that photograph of you sitting on the step and the grandeur of the marble mausoleum in the background.
But if you feel creative and want to exploit your photographic skills, there are tons of different angles that are worth trying.
You can also take excellent photographs of the varied roofs belonging to the restaurants near the Taj Mahal .
Unfortunately, Agra is very cloudy, which is why during the winter visibility is often reduced, especially during the mornings and sunsets. That said, take advantage of the atmospheric changes in your favor and unleash your creativity!
- The best city to travel to Agra, is Delhi . The Golden Triangle is an excellent starting point for those visitors who are traveling for the first time in India. This includes Delhi, Agra and Jaipur ; the pink city. If you want to know more, take a look at our Itinerary about the activities available, to make the most of your stay in Delhi
- Although, it is not necessary to have every second of the day organized, we recommend planning your daily activities during your trip to India in advance, as well as having your main transfers and accommodation reserved prior to your arrival. This means, air or land tickets (train, transfer by car, etc …) and make sure you have a hotel or Airbnb to stay.
- Depending on your country of origin, you may need a visa to travel to India . You can request an electronic visa online. Take into account that the cost also varies, depending on your nationality.
- It is also important to consult with your doctor, if you need vaccinations or specific medications for your trip.
- Take into account that in India there are 22 official languages. So we can assure you that it will be almost impossible to be able to communicate verbally with all the people with whom you interact during your trip. It is true that in most of the cities you will visit, most of the locals also speak English. However, you can say “Namaste” to say hello or say goodbye.